Chicago might not be the first place you think of when you sit down to plan a romantic getaway with your loved one. But, people who overlook it are really missing out. Between the beautiful skylines, delicious dining options, and the wide variety of entertainment, any couple could plan the perfect romantic weekend in Chicago.
Here are five reasons you should consider Chicago the next time you plan a weekend getaway:
No Shortage of Romantic Dinner Options
When it comes to dining, Chicago has a lot to offer (and no, I’m not talking about deep dish — forget the deep dish). Think steakhouses, Italian restaurants, tapas, Vietnamese, and more. There’s something for every taste, budget, and style.
In February of this year, OpenTable released a list of the 100 Most Romantic Restaurants in America and Chicago had the most nominees of any city in the country. There were 11 nominees total; over a tenth of the list! For a romantic dining experience, there is simply no better city.
Here are just a couple of nominees from the list:
- Gibsons Italia. You can have a classically romantic night at Gibsons Italia with a seemingly endless wine list, perfectly prepared steaks, and all of your favorite pasta dishes. With three levels, a roof deck, and a view of the Chicago River, it’s the perfect location for a night with your loved one.
- Girl & the Goat. This trendy restaurant offers innovative small plates in a warm, cozy setting that’s perfect for intimate conversations. Enjoy light menu options like the chickpea fritters or more hearty options like the crisp braised pork shank.
- Le Colonial. Le Colonial is an upscale French-Vietnamese restaurant. It’s a bit on the pricy end, but it has become something of an icon in the city. Not only is the food delicious, but the interior is beautiful and guests can also enjoy outdoor patio or balcony seating.
Your Photos Will Be Amazing
Between the architecture, the natural beauty of the river, and the art installations, Chicago has some great locations for pictures. Nearly everyone who’s been to Chicago has at least one picture with The Bean (Cloud Gate, if you’re fancy). But, there’s a whole lot more to photograph than that.
While The Bean is the most common picture location, it is certainly not the most romantic. If you’re looking for romance, try to find ways to get the most out of the city skyline. Some great options include the top of the Navy Pier Ferris wheel, the 360 Chicago Observation Deck in the John Hancock Building, or even just the view from the Adler Planetarium.
For those who plan to use this weekend trip to propose, there are beautiful locations all over the city that would be a perfect backdrop for this special moment. If you’re looking for a good spot to stage your engagement photos, Party Slate rounded up the best places to propose in Chicago.
Your Hotel Will Probably Have a Great View
Whether you want a view of Lake Michigan, the Chicago River, or the glittering skyline, there’s a hotel with the perfect view for you. Check out some of these hotels with romantic views of Chicago:
- The Langham. Located on N Wabash Avenue, The Langham is in a landmark tower with a perfect view of the river. This hotel was named the best hotel in Chicago by Cool Things Chicago for it sexcellent service and stunning views.
- The Ritz-Carlton. If it’s a lake view that you’re looking for, there’s no better option than The Ritz-Carlton. The rooms of this hotel are a peaceful oasis centrally located in the buzzing city.
- The Peninsula. Pamper your loved one with the rooftop spa, swimming pool, and sun terrace in this landmark luxury hotel. Suites feature floor-to-ceiling windows and a beautiful view of the city skyline or Lake Michigan.
You’ll Definitely Be Entertained
When planning the perfect weekend getaway in Chicago, don’t forget about the theater scene. This can include Broadway shows, stand-up comedy, concerts, or improv. There is no shortage of options.
If it’s Broadway shows you’re interested in, you can choose from five theaters. These include Cadillac Palace Theatre, James M. Nederlander Theatre, CIBC Theatre, Auditorium Theatre, and Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place. At these theaters, you can catch new shows like Hamilton or touring musical classics like My Fair Lady. You’ll have to do some research ahead of time to see which shows are touring.
Another great choice for a night at the theater is The Steppenwolf. It is the premier ensemble theatre in the U.S. and has received many awards including the National Medal of Arts and several Tony Awards. See the latest in upcoming talent and innovative storytelling at The Steppenwolf.
If plays and musicals aren’t for you, choose a more casual show by looking into concerts, comedy, or improv. The Second City theater and improv group are well-known for their talent. Many SNL performers have been through Second City, including Chris Farley, Tina Fey, Bill Hader, and many more.
You Probably Won’t Have to Mess with a Connecting Flight
Those who need to book a flight to the city will be happy to know that they can likely do so without a connecting flight. As the sixth busiest airport in the world, Chicago O’Hare International Airport is a central hub for travel in the U.S.
No matter where you’re flying from, it’ll be easy for you to find a quick and convenient flight so you can spend more of your time relaxing. When you’re only traveling for a weekend, it’s essential to make the most of every moment.
Chicago is a great location for a romantic getaway with your loved one. Whether you’re planning something exciting (like a proposal) or just spoiling the one you love, you can plan the perfect weekend trip. Start with a hotel that offers a beautiful view and pack your weekend full of delicious meals, entertainment, and exciting attractions. It will be a trip to remember.