When you purchase a home, the first focus is typically financially driven. However, there’s much more to being a responsible homeowner than paying for the house.
If you intend on occupying your home for several years, you’ll have to know how to properly care for the property. The better care you take of your home, the more you’ll get out of it in resale and in living value.
Make it easy on yourself, and read through a compact compilation of things to do around your house. Take the time to assure comfort for yourself and the family for many years to come.
Monthly tasks to maintain your home
Take the time once per month to tackle these tasks.
- Check/change the HVAC filters – AC repair specialists will tell you that you should change your filters once per month. There are some exceptions to the rule when it comes to changing HVAC filters. If you are the only person in your home with no pets, then it may only be necessary to change the filters once every three months.
- Clean out the garbage disposal – A handy trick for cleaning the garbage disposal is rooted in vinegar cubes. Freeze some vinegar in an ice tray, and put it down the garbage disposal. As is it minced up, the vinegar will neutralize any yucky smells and sharpen the blades simultaneously.
- Clean out the range hood and filter – Get out the degreaser and hot water to clean up your range hood once per month. The filter on your hood should also be detailed. Letting oil and dust build up in these areas will affect your range hood’s ability to properly circulate air.
- Check the fire extinguisher – There’s not much you have to do to inspect your fire extinguisher. Just check to make sure it’s still in good shape and not blocked, and you’re good to go.
Things to be done quarterly
Every three months, there are some things you can do around the house to keep it in good shape.
- Test the smoke detectors – The smoke alarms in your home should have a button labeled “test”. Press the button to make sure the batteries in your alarm are still good. If the device is dirty, clean it off.
- Make sure your garage door works properly – Put a rock or a board underneath your garage door, and make sure the door’s auto reverse safety feature still functions properly.
- Run water in vacant places of your home – Running water and flushing toilets in the places of your home that don’t get much traffic will help ward off buildup and a ray of plumbing issues.
Do these things annually
There is a long list of things you should run through annually to keep your home in proper order. For time’s sake, here is a short list of some of the most pertinent tasks you should complete yearly around the house.
- Clean out your gutters and downspouts.
- Take a walk around the exterior of your home, looking for signs of trouble.
- Prep your air conditioning unit for the summer heat.
- Clean up the grout in bathrooms and kitchen.
- Get out in the yard.
- Take care of insect problems you may find.
- Flush out your hot water heater.
- Winterize your home inside and out.
- Have the chimney cleaned.
- Check your home for air leaks.
- Remove your showerheads to clean out any built-up sediment.